Friday 25 November 2011

Why is inclusive language not used?

The terms used for God emerge from societies in which women were subservient.... many would say, "Yes, like the Church today"

At our first RCIA session this year someone questioned this, and has not returned since. That might not be the reason in her case, I do not know, but I am embarrassed by the non-inclusive language and wherever feasible do not say it, in RCIA or indeed in Mass.

I just noticed http://www.adoremus.org/297-CardsVat.html which indicates the extent to which some people once had hoped for progress in this. I've not decided how comfortable I am with all that is in that article -but the current Mass is not adequate in this aspect, and that article will challenge me to continue to reflect more.

Why was inclusive language not used in the new text?

No comments: